Wednesday 28 August 2013

The yin and yang of travel

Seems like we are experiencing what some friends have been alluding to when they mentioned that "it won't all be good". I'm feeling a bit discouraged by the weather forecast. We've arrived in Port Hardy (northern Vancouver Island)amidst drizzle and apparently 20mm are on their way. Rumour has it that there is no rain down south (so we will head there, although here at the hostel Patrick also clarified that no rain means showers - they make a clear distinction between the two here!). We've had two cushie nights in 2 different hostels; hot showers with real towels, kitchen facilities, clean, dry sheets (beats damp sleeping bags hands down), and of course heat. We are weighing money against comfort (I question if maybe we should just hole up here), which may be the universal travellers' dilemma. I think we'll risk leaving and head down to Strathcona Park, via Telegraph Cove and the whale museum. We had 2 incredible ferry rides to get here. Skidegate (QCI) to Prince Rupert, and then Prince Rupert to Port Hardy (15 hours). We saw many humpback whales, two that breached and played in the water for at least 10 minutes (ask Bar how hard they are to photograph with a Canon PowerShot). The trip down the Inside Passage was fantastic and we met two lovely siblings from BC travelling together with a beautiful 3 month old baby girl. They gave us some great travel advice, and we had good conversations. Friday or Saturday, we ferry to Powell River to visit good friends; the promise of connection filled with anticipation! We've met loads of wonderful people, but truthfully, at times I've been lonely. Nothing replaces the company of family and friends. I'm experiencing a somehwat poignant duality - a longing for all we've left behind, mingling with a sense of adventure and curiosity about what might come next, gratitude for the incredible luxury of simply being free to travel. This is an emotionally rich experience and we are still learning to ride the wave. Some parts of me are having to harden, while others are being called to soften. I am learning to let go of control, and my close friends may intuit the challenge this can be for me. A challenge, but not necessarily hard - just the "edge" I'm walking these days. In other words, it's all good in a yin/yang sorta' way. To everyone who sends a thought our way, via email or FB, thanks A LOT and keep 'em coming. Possibly sadly, I am reminded of Celine Dion's song, "You are the Wind Beneath my Wings". Cliche and sappy, but so appropriate for us right now. It is amazing to me, that even as we venture farther and farther from home, we still feel so connected, loved, and supported. This truly sustains us and propels us forward - you help us spread our wings and fly. It is its own profound and beautiful lesson, and I marvel at how far these connections can stretch. I find myself singing a song Ruby wrote 2 years ago at Emerald Lake "My Moon" (sorry if I got the title wrong Ruby) - the idea that we are all looking at the same moon even though we are miles apart. Love to all and keep doing the sunshine dance for us. XOXOXO - D

No comments:

Post a Comment